May - Small Self-Care Habits for Balance and Wellness
- Small acts of self-care can go a long way.
Life can get overwhelming. To ensure that you’re in your best shape and mind to take on life’s challenges, prioritize these small self-care habits during this Mental Health Awareness Month:
- Listen to Your Body – Your physical needs must be met before you can focus on your mental needs. Pay attention to your hunger, thirst, and fatigue cues; take note of any patterns; and design an eating, drinking, and sleeping schedule that honors your unique needs. If you find it difficult to recognize these cues, establish a general schedule, test it out, and make changes as you go. Once you have a schedule, be flexible with it because your needs can still change.
- Be Patient with Your Mind – Emotions are normal and valid, so give yourself the time and space to let your emotions run their course. Find or make yourself a safe and comforting place to go to and calming activities to do like journaling, coloring, meditating, taking a bath, listening to music, or doing yoga. If you’re unable to access a safe space or calming activities momentarily, it can also be helpful to simply step away from the situation you may be in to get some fresh air outside and a sip of water.
- Lean on Your Support System – Connect with your friends and family. If you feel comfortable with it, share the weight of your thoughts and feelings with a loved one. If you’re not quite there yet, enjoy a laugh and make a good memory. It is never a bad idea to ask for guidance from a professional as well. Letting a doctor or therapist know about your struggles can provide you access to more resources that can better help you be at your best. If you can’t access a professional immediately, take advantage of help hotlines.
- Do What You Love – Your hobbies and passions can make a big impact on your wellness. They can help relieve stress and keep you engaged in something that you enjoy and makes you YOU. Make time for yourself to do what you love and be proud of it!
Seasonal Foods and Recipes
Make a big batch of these savory vegan snacks and keep some in the freezer for whenever you feel hungry and need a quick, healthy bite to eat.
This protein and healthy-fat-packed wrap makes for a perfect weekend brunch dish to share with friends and family.
You’ve got to try this refreshing sushi bowl! It is packed with flavor and can help you get an extra serving of fish into your diet.
This salad is simple, refreshing, and delicious.
Meal prep for your sweet tooth with this treat, just in time for warmer weather!