Summer is here! And so are the typical Davis heat waves. Good hydration is extremely important to help our body to function properly and to feel good.
Not drinking enough water can cause exhaustion, headaches, dizziness, low blood pressure, skin problems and may lower our productivity.
Here are some tips that can be helpful for the next couple months:
- Don’t drink water only when you feel thirsty! Try drinking small amounts of water throughout the day. You can add some fruit or herbs, such as mint leaves, to create a more refreshing and flavorful taste.
- Eat foods with high content of water, such as fruits and vegetables. Watermelon and strawberries are an excellent option since they are around 90% water and are high in fiber and other nutrients.
- Avoid alcohol since it can promote dehydration or just make sure to drink extra water if you decide to consume it.
- Wear light colored clothes and limit sun exposure at mid-day.
- Check your urine. Urine can be used as an indicator of dehydration. The darker it is, the more likely you’re dehydrated.
- Be aware of how much water you need. Some people may need more water than others, if you have a certain health condition, make sure to talk to your health care provider in order to avoid dehydration.