Skip to main content
If you discover a fire:
- Rescue - Remove anyone in the immediate area and
- Alarm - Activate the nearest fire alarm pull station to evacuate the building and call 9-1-1.
- Confine – Close (don’t lock) all doors and windows as you leave.
- Extinguish - Attempt to extinguish the fire only if it is safe to do so.
- If there is smoke or heat, stay low. Crawl to the nearest exit if need be.
- Before opening any door, feel it with the back of your hand near the top. If it is hot, do not open it. Use another exit.
- If the door is not hot, open it cautiously and be prepared to close it quickly if there is excessive smoke.
- Leave the area by the nearest stairway that is clear of smoke (Do not use elevators).
- Assemble outside in a pre-designated area.
- Do not re-enter the building until notified to do so.
If you become trapped, do the following:
- Retreat. Close as many doors between you and the fire as possible. Look for fire-rated walls or doors.
- Place a blanket or similar article along the bottom of the door to keep smoke out. If possible, wet the material first.
- Hang a light-colored material out the window to attract attention of rescue teams below.
- Call 9-1-1.
- Do NOT jump!
- Do NOT break open windows!