Forklift Safety Certification: Initial Training
All operator training and evaluation shall be conducted by persons who have the knowledge, training, and experience to train operators and evaluate their competence [8CCR, Section 3668(b)(4)].
Training shall consist of a combination of formal instruction (e.g., lecture, discussion, interactive computer learning, video, written material), practical training (demonstrations performed by the trainer and practical exercises performed by trainee) and evaluation of the operator’s performance in the workplace [8CCR, Section 3668(b)(3)].
Refresher training, including an evaluation of the effectiveness of that training, shall be conducted to ensure that the operator has the knowledge and skills to operate the forklift truck safely as follows:
- Refresher training in relevant topics shall be provided to the operator when:
- The operator has been observed to operate the vehicle in an unsafe manner;
- The operator has been involved in an accident or near-miss incident;
- The operator has received an evaluation that reveals that the operator is not operating the truck safely;
- The operator is assigned to drive a different type of truck; or
- A condition in the workplace changes in a manner that could affect safe operation of the truck.
- An evaluation of each powered industrial truck operator's performance shall be conducted at least once every three years [8CCR, Section 3668(d)].
Forklift safety certification is required safety training for all employees who operate a forklift. Supervisors directly responsible for forklifts used within their departments must ensure that only trained and certified individuals operate equipment. Certification must be renewed every three years. EH&S provides detailed training materials and guidelines and departmental instructors provide the training. This departmental instructor-led course and evaluation introduces employees to forklift design, necessary safety precautions, and the basic principles of safe operation.
Prior to instruction and training: Please contact EH&S at 752-1493 to obtain complete training packages.
After the completion of instruction and training: Submit a copy of the “Certification of Completion” to EH&S. Upon review and verification of employee being registered within the UC Davis Learning Management System (LMS), EH&S will process employee as having completed Forklift Safety Certification. EH&S will send an email indicating successful completion along with a LMS certificate. Certification is in accordance with PPM 290-86, and valid for three years.
Initial Training - Outline
1. Video Instruction
- Online Training – Learning Management System (LMS): Forklift Safety
- Sign in with your Kerberos password and ID
2. Classroom Exercise: Cal-OSHA Operating Rules for Industrial Trucks [8 CCR, General Industrial Safety Orders 3650(t)]
3. Classroom Exercise: Identify Forklift Main Parts
4. Classroom Review: Departmental forklift instruction and overview
- Instructor shall review specific instruction on the forklift(s) employee(s) will be required to operate (See Classroom Review Guidelines).
- Note: Because powered industrial trucks are manufactured by different companies with various models available, the training must be specific to the operating characteristics of the specific powered industrial truck the employee will be using.
5. Classroom Review: Departmental workplace-related instruction and overview
- Instructor shall review specific workplace-related hazards and departmental policies (See Classroom Review Guidelines).
6. Classroom Exercise: Forklift Safety Quiz
- Review and complete the “Forklift Safety Quiz”. Upon completion, instructor should review the quiz with the class.
7. Pre-Shift Inspection
- Instructor shall review departmental pre-shift inspection procedures and checklist
- Instructor shall perform a demonstration pre-shift inspection using departmental procedures and checklist
- Note: Example Pre-Shift Inspection forms are included for use or modification
8. Practical Driving Evaluation
The driver must demonstrate the ability to perform the following operations:
- Pre-operation inspection: posting of rated capacity, tires, horn, lights, seatbelts, any evidence of leaking fluids or other mechanical problems
- Controls inspection: operation of brakes and parking brakes, steering, proper function of pedals and controls.
- Proper control of the vehicle when performing normal functions as determined by the department, including moving and repositioning of a load. Attention shall be given to proper starting, stopping, and turning, positioning of the load on the forks, clearance between the load, the vehicle and any potential obstacles.
- Note: Example Practical Driving Evaluation forms are included for use or modification
9. Certification of Completion
- The classroom training instructor, practical driving evaluator, and employee must completely fill out the attached “Forklift Training Certification of Completion” form. Send a copy of the completed and signed form to EH&S; the original must be kept on file for a minimum of three years by the department. Upon review and verification of employee being registered in the LMS, EH&S will process employee as having completed Forklift Safety Certification. EH&S will send an email indicating successful completion along with a LMS certificate. Certification is in accordance with PPM 290-86, and valid for three years.