Proper Handling of Materials at Biosafety Level 1
Course duration estimate: 25 mins
This 25 minute course is required for those whose work in research and related projects involve microbiological materials and recombinant or synthetic nucleic acids that can be safely handled at BSL1, in order to provide biosafety training in the proper handling of non-infectious microbiological agents and recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid constructs. Course objectives include:
- Recognizing NIH containment guidelines for recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid work at Biosafety Level 1 (BSL1).
- Outlining standard microbiological practices.
- Listing commonly used personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Understanding BSL1 facility and administrative requirements.
- Demonstrating knowledge in waste disposal practices.
- Demonstrating knowledge of incident reporting requirements.
- Outlining spill handling procedures.
**PLEASE NOTE: The Learning Management System (LMS), where trainings are housed, is set up for employees. If you are a student or visiting scholar, you must request access to the system before you can complete your training. Please email email@example.com to request access to the system.