Revised on
01/04/16 03:36pm

Certificates of Insurance FAQs

Contact information

  1. Certificates to be Issued by the University:
  2. Certificates to be Received by the University:

Certificates to be Issued by the University:

How do you obtain a UC Certificate of Insurance (COI)? 
Entities doing business with UC often require proof of insurance from The Regents in the form of certificates of insurance. Risk Management can only issue a certificate of insurance on receipt of complete contractual information.  To do so, submit all documents to the appropriate campus contracting office (i.e. Contracting Services, Sponsored Programs, Real Estate, etc.) for review and approval. Once the documents are approved the appropriate contracting office will request a UC Certificate of Insurance from Risk Management or you can email your request to with the approved contract attached. 

Certificates to be Received by the University:

What is a Certificate of Insurance?
A Certificate of Insurance verifies that the contractor, consultant, vendor or facility user has purchased an insurance policy and that the insurance requirements of the contract have been met. It provides evidence that the insured can satisfy obligations to (1) pay for loss of or damage to property, (2) pay judgments or settlements, (3) protect The Regents if costs are incurred as a result of the insured's negligent acts or omissions, and/or (4) support the indemnification provisions of the contract. 

Why are Certificates of Insurance important?
Proof of insurance is required to demonstrate that the contractor, consultant, vendor, or facility user can meet their obligations under the indemnification provision. A Certificate of Insurance is proof that an insurance policy has been purchased and that the Regents have certain rights under that policy. Absent such proof of insurance, the University might have to rely on a contractor's assets to pay for losses caused by the contractor, consultant, facility user, etc. The value of assets and their liquidity makes reliance on them untenable. In the event of a loss for which the contractor, consultant, or facility user has no insurance, the University might find itself paying the costs of the loss itself. In short, Certificates of Insurance are required if the University is to protect its own assets from exposure to losses created by the liability of those with whom it does business.

What is an additional insured?
“The Regents of the University of California” are required to be named as additional insured on Certificates of Insurance. As an additional insured the University has coverage under the contractor's, consultant’s, vendor's, or facility user's insurance policy for claims and suits alleging negligent acts or omissions by the contractor, etc. arising out of the contract. The Additional Insured coverage provides that the University will have legal representation for a claim or lawsuit in which the University is named, but is not negligent. Without this coverage, the University would have to provide its own defense in the event it was named in a suit that arose out of the negligent acts or omissions of the contractor, consultant, vendor, or facility user with whom it was doing business. This protection is very important as, in many cases, defense costs incurred by litigation exceed the cost of settlements and judgments.