Funding to increase safety awareness and reduce or prevent injury/illness.
The goal of the Be Smart About Safety (BSAS) Program is to increase safety awareness and reduce or prevent injury or illness by providing a funding mechanism for loss prevention and control programs, equipment, and training efforts.
How to Apply for BSAS Funds:
The BSAS Committee reviews and recommends proposals for approval by UC Davis, and then submits the approved recommendations to UCOP for final authorization.
Proposals should be emailed to Risk Management and Include:
- Describe proposal to be funded by BSAS.
- What is the liability to be addressed?
- How will this request reduce or mitigate losses?
- How is this issue currently being addressed?
- Attach any additional information that supports the request (e.g., pictures, copies of injury reports, articles, catalog listings, drawings).
- Funding requested
- What is the total cost of the proposal?
- Does this require a one-time expense or ongoing funding?
- When are the funds expected to be used?
Timeline for Fiscal Year 2020/21 and 2021/22
Requests submitted for FY2020/21 will roll in to the FY2021/22 cycle.
- April - June 2021
New proposals will be accepted
- July-August 2021
BSAS Committee reviews proposals (including proposals submitted in 2020)
- September 2021
Selected UC Davis proposals are approved by UC Davis leadership
- October 2021
UCOP authorizes proposals
Each year, UCOP's Risk Services Office budgets a small amount to fund proactive loss prevention and loss control projects. This funding is intended to support projects that reduce the frequency and severity of potential losses in our Workers' Compensation, General Liability, Employment, Automobile, and Property programs. It is not meant to support operations, ongoing maintenance, or regulatory requirements.
The BSAS process flow: