26 Faculty/Academic Senate & Federation
7 Ex Officio, Voting:
- Director, Environmental Health & Safety
- Manager, Research Safety Unit, Environmental Health & Safety
- Manager, Health and Safety Unit, Environmental Health & Safety
- Chemical Hygiene Officer, Environmental Health & Safety
- Manager, Laboratory Safety Review Program
- University Fire Marshal
- Occupational Health Physician
The Faculty/Academic Federation should include four representatives from each UC Davis School and College. In addition, both the Academic Senate and Federation Committees on Research will provide one member. All members should have extensive laboratory research and/or teaching experience with hazardous chemicals.
To review and establish as necessary, campus policies and procedures for the safe Laboratory operations that include the acquisition, storage, use and disposal of chemical and nanoparticle agents. These will be exclusive of radiological materials, biological materials, lasers, and animal use, all of which are covered under the auspices of their appropriate committee. The CLSC will be involved in the following chemical and laboratory safety program areas:
- Providing Campus Communications/Quarterly CLSC Newsletters to Research Community;
- Providing Training Resources for laboratory personnel;
- Providing an up-to-date Laboratory Safety Manual, Chemical Hygiene Plan, and Standard Operating Procedure templates;
- Providing oversight for the Laboratory Safety Reviews Program, Laboratory Hazard Assessments, Personal Protective Equipment, and Chemical Exposure Monitoring Programs;
- Involvement in any proposed changes to laboratory operations or equipment in respect to sustainability;
- Involvement in the development and revisions of the campus Facilities Planning and Laboratory Design Guide;
- Involvement in the Hazardous Waste Management Program;
- Involvement in a variety of special program areas such as nanotechnology, chemical recycling, chemical inventories, physical hazards, and the new Faculty Outreach program;
At least quarterly.
At least 75% of the meetings (alternates are acceptable)
No less than two years. May be extended by agreement with chair and member. Replacements need to be provided prior to leaving committee.
The Committee reports to the Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer - Finance, Operations and Administration.
Karen Gagnon, Campus Chemical Hygiene Officer