Injury Reporting

Work-related injuries or illnesses must be immediately reported to Workers' Compensation. All supervisors and employees should understand and follow the following protocols.

  • Supervisors - Make sure your employees inform you of extended hospitalization and Return to Work restrictions.
  • Reporting injuries over the phone - you can report work-related injuries directly to the University's insurance carrier, Sedgwick, when access to Employee Injury and Illness Reporting (EIIR) is not readily available.
    • Before reporting, make sure your supervisor is informed of your injury. To report a claim, call 1-877-682-7778.

Reporting Injury or Illnesses Content:

  1. Emergency or After Hours
  2. Serious Injury/Illness or death
  3. Non-emergency
    1. During regular work hours
    2. Outside of normal business hours
  4. Lab Injury or Exposure

1. Emergency or After Hours Work Injuries

A supervisor (or next responsible person) must accompany the employee to the emergency room.
  1. If life-threatening, call 9-1-1
  2. If UC Davis Occupational Health is closed and you have a work related injury, go to:
  3. If Davis Urgent Care is closed, go to:

2. For serious injury/illness or death

Inpatient hospitalization, amputation, loss of an eye or serious permanent disfigurement

Cal/OSHA defines "serious injury or illness" as any injury or illness occurring in a place of employment, or in connection with any employment, that requires inpatient hospitalization for other than medical observation or diagnostic testing, or in which an employee suffers an amputation, the loss of an eye, or any serious degree of permanent disfigurement, but does not include any injury or illness, or death caused by an accident on a public street or highway, unless the accident occurred in a construction zone.

During Work Hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.): call EH&S at 530-752-1493

Outside of Work Hours: call Police Dispatch at 530-752-1230

      Read/download SafetyNet 121 for what information to provide, department responsibilities and much more.

3. Non-Emergencies

→ During Work Hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)

  • Call Occupational Health Services at 530-752-6051 to schedule an appointment for the employee.
    • The clinic is located in the Cowell Building Map
  • Complete the EIIR. Print a copy and bring it with you to the clinic.

→ Outside of Work Hours

  • If medical treatment is necessary and UC Davis Occupational Health is closed go to
    • Davis Urgent Care: (530) 759-9110
      4515 Fermi Place, Suite 105, Davis CA 95618
      Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m., 365 days a year including holidays (last patient seen at 8:30 p.m.)
      For directions, please click here
    • If Davis Urgent Care is closed, go to Sutter Davis Hospital Emergency Room (530) 757-5111
  • Call 877-682-7778 to report the work-related injury/illness and file a WC claim.
  • UC Davis WC will be notified by Sedgwick/CMS.
  • Complete the Employee Injury or Illness Report (EIIR) as soon as practicable. 

4. Lab Injury or Exposure