Photo of office workers

Office Electrical Safety Tips

Electrical safety tips for the office worker

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) about 76,000 office workers nationwide receive disabling injuries every year. Although the most frequent types of incidents are falls (either from height, trip- ping or slippery surfaces), many injuries also occur as the result of contact with electrical equipment or appliances.

Almost everything in an office setting today operates on electricity. Electrical equipment used in an office is potentially hazardous and can cause serious shock and burn injuries if improperly used or maintained. If a part of the body comes in contact with the electrical circuit, a shock will occur. The electrical current will enter the body at one point and leave at another. The passage of electricity through the body can cause great pain, burns, destruction of tissue, nerves, and muscles and even death.

Here are some important tips to follow.

  • Use only equipment that is properly grounded or double-insulated;

  • Do not overload outlets;

  • Do not plug multi-outlet bars to other multi-outlet bars;

  • Only use equipment that has been approved by a national testing laboratory;

  • Use surge protectors not extension cords. Do not plug two surge protectors together;

  • Do not cover power cords with rugs or mats;

  • Do not run electrical cords through pedestrian aisles or doorways

  • Unplug or disconnect machines before servicing or repairing;

  • Do not ignore the warning signs. If an item feels hot, makes an unusual noise (buzz or hum), smokes or sparks, take it out of service immediately and tag it “Do Not Use”;

  • Inspect cords and equipment regularly, and report any defects immediately;

  • Cover or guard any exposed electrical components or wires;

  • Unplug cords from the outlet by gripping the plug. Do not pull the cord;

  • Do not use electrical equipment or appliances near water or wet surfaces;

  • Never use electrical equipment when hands or the equipment are wet

    For more information please contact

    Fire Prevention Services

    (530) 752-1493

Primary Category