UC WorkStrong Program
What is WorkStrong?
The WorkStrong program is a University of California systemwide program developed with the expertise and collaborative support of UC staff in wellness programs, occupational health and recreational sports. It was designed to promote recovery and prevent future workplace injuries. Each UC campus has its own unique program to suit the needs of the employees on its campus.
UC Davis’ WorkStrong program enrolled its first participant in May 2012. After initial referral by Sedgwick, a third party worker’s compensation company, participants are enrolled after the Occupational Health physician’s evaluation. This program provides a continuity of care for patients that have been injured on the job as most first go through physical therapy on site before graduating to the WorkStrong program to continue their recovery.
- Pre- and post-program lipid profiles, glucose and HgA1c measurements
- Weekly wellness coaching sessions
- Individual ergonomic evaluations and recommendations
- Personal training
- Campus gym membership for 6 months
- Registered dietitian visit with 3 day food record analysis and follow-up
- Pain and Stress Management techniques including Resilience Training
- Meditation group class
- Healthy Choices Series - Cooking demos
- “Shopping Tour” – a trip to the UC Davis Farmers Market or Davis Food Co-op
The WorkStrong program is a rigorous wellness program that requires active participation. The effectiveness of the program is measured primarily by re-injury rates of the participants and secondarily by SF-36 pre- and post-questionnaire and pre- and post- fitness testing measurements. In addition, testimonials are collected that describe how the WorkStrong program has contributed to on-going behavior change.
Our partners include the Academic Staff Assistance Program (ASAP) and Campus Recreation. ASAP provides continuity of care and Campus Recreation provides professional trainers for WorkStrong participants and access to the ARC for 6 months. All services are covered by University of California, Office of the President (UCOP).
Keavagh Clift, MPH, CHWC
WorkStrong Program Manager