June is Safety Month at UC Davis, with activities and training being offered each week to help keep you safe and healthy both on and off campus, all year long. The following four weeks are designed to bring awareness to risks that apply to every employee on campus - whether you work in a lab or a cubicle. Resources are available right on campus to help you think safe, act safe, and be safe. All events are first come, first seated.
This week is about keeping you healthy in your chair and encouraging you to frequently get out of it.
June 5, 7 and 9 – Learn how to train the trainer on ergonomics and well-being from 10 am - 12 pm in the Occupational Health Conference Room in Cowell Building with Hamid Fonooni and Stacey Brezing. Register for the Ergonomics Workshop on LMS by searching "Office Ergonomics."
- June 7 – Manage stress by learning what mindfulness is, and ways in which you can incorporate more of it into your daily life from 12 pm - 1 pm in Vanderhoef Studio, Mondavi with Neesha Patel. Register here.
- June 8 – Get out of your chair for a couple hours for a Tai Chi class from 12 pm - 1:00 pm in Hoagland Hall 130 with David Moore. Register here.
Week 2 (June 12-16): Distracted Driving and Biking
This week is about bringing attention to habits that keep you and others safe when you’re operating a car or bicycle.
- June 13 and 15 – Learn about safe driving and biking practices on campus from 12 pm - 1 pm in Hoagland Hall 130 taught by Tim Bustos from TAPS. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
- June 14 – Bring your bike to the Quad for quick, professional safety checks and light adjustments from 12 pm - 1 pm with the UC Davis Police Department and TAPS. Need a helmet? Grab one while you're there!
Week 3 (June 19-23): Active Shooter Preparedness
This week is about preparing you and your department for an emergency, so you can more quickly recover after the threat has passed.
- June 19 – Learn self defense techniques from 11 am - 1 pm in Hoagland Hall 130 with Rocci Twitchell. Email email@example.com to RSVP.
- June 21 – Get a hands-on lesson with equipment and learn safe practices for active shooter situations from 10 am - 12 pm in Hoagland Hall 130 with the UC Davis Police Department. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
- June 23 – Create your department's mission continuity plan during a Brown Bag lunch from 11 am - 12 pm in Hoagland Hall 130 with Brent Wagstaff. Email email@example.com to RSVP.
Week 4 (June 26-30): Fall Protection
Climbing is often necessary in the workplace, and we want you to do it safely.
June 26 – Learn about fall protection in the workplace with hands-on training from 11 am - 1 pm in Hoagland Hall 130 with Bob Wachter and Mark Martin. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
Safety Services launched this effort alongside campus partners to provide safety awareness and training across campus, throughout the month of June. “Our mission is promoting a culture of safety on campus,” said Eric Kvigne AVC Safety Services. “The information we’re working to convey applies to anyone working on campus, and can also help our employees and their families’ live safer lives when off campus.”
Safety Month is coordinated by Safety Services with support from Facilities Management, the UC Davis Police Department, Transportation Services, Student Health and Counseling Services, and the UC Davis Fire Department to provide training and resources throughout the month.