Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Templates
Cal/OSHA requires that standard operating procedures (SOPs) be established for work with hazardous chemicals. This requirement is stated in 8 CCR §5191 (Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories, “Laboratory Standard”) under the provisions of the Chemical Hygiene Plan. SOPs document the laboratory-specific procedures for the safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous chemicals. Principal investigators and laboratory supervisors are responsible for establishing SOPs relevant to health and safety for laboratory activities involving hazardous chemicals.
Chemicals classified as “Particularly Hazardous Substances” have additional SOP requirements. Particularly Hazardous Substances include acutely toxic chemicals, reproductive toxins, and “select carcinogens.” For these materials, specific consideration shall be given to the following elements, which shall be included where appropriate:
- The establishment of a designated area.
- The use of containment devices, such as fume hoods or glove boxes.
- Procedures for safe removal of contaminated waste.
- Decontamination procedures.
The SOP templates have been prepared under direction of the UC Davis Chemical and Laboratory Safety Committee. These templates include a general SOP template and several control-banded SOP templates. For assistance in developing laboratory-specific SOPs or determining whether a chemical is suitable for inclusion in a control band, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Do NOT use the Listed Carcinogen SOP without consulting EH&S.
- Acutely Toxic Gases - Version 1.6, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Acutely Toxic Solids and Liquids - Version 1.5, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Aqua Regia - Version 1.3, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Carcinogens - Version 1.4, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Corrosives - Version 1.5, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Cryogens - Version 1.4, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Flame Sterilization - Version 1.1, Last Updated: 12/9/2016
- Flammable Liquids - Version 1.4, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Flammable Solids - Version 1.4, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Hydrofluoric Acid - Version 1.0, Last Updated 12/1/2017
- Lab Safety Plan - Version 1.4, Last Updated: 4/3/2017
- Listed Carcinogens - Version 1.5, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Piranha - Version 1.3, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Pyrophorics - Version 1.5, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Reproductive Toxins - Version 1.5, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Sodium Azide - Version 1.3, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- SOP Template - Version 1.5, Last Updated: 12/6/2017
- Water Reactives - Version 1.0, Last Updated 12/1/2017
- Working Alone - Version 1.4, Last Updated: 5/10/2017
- Acutely Toxic Gases
- Acutely Toxic Solids & Liquids
- Aqua Regia
- Flame Sterilization
- Flammable Liquids
- Flammable Solids
- Hydrofluoric Acid
- Lab Safety Plan
- Listed Carcinogens
- Pyrophoric Spill Flowchart
- Reproductive Toxins
- Sodium Azide
- SOP Template
- Water Reactives
- Working Alone