The UC Davis Controlled Substance Program provides the special requirements and procedures applicable to the procurement, storage, use, transfer, disposal, and inspections of controlled substances at all locations that are the responsibility of the UC Davis administration. Licensed UC Davis pharmacies are exempt from this policy, unless specifically stated otherwise.
Policy and Procedure Manual Sections Relating to Controlled Substances
- Section 290-70 Controlled Substances
The process for Controlled Substance Use Authorization begins when the PI submits a Personnel Screening Form to Program Manager Gerry Westcott and completes the Controlled Substances training. Upon receipt of the completed Personnel Screening form and confirmation of training, the campus Controlled Substance Administrator will schedule a site visit with the PI to ensure all storage guidelines and security controls have been met. To request a site inspection, email email@example.com.
Additional authorized users, such as staff or students, that have access to controlled substances (CS) must complete the Controlled Substance training, and a Live Scan background check through the UCD Police Department or other approved agency. Complete the following steps to complete the Live Scan:
- Download and print the Background Check Authorization Form, which can also be found on the UC Davis Police Department Live Scan website.
- Take the form to your business office, Management Services Officer (MSO), or other financial authority to help fill it out properly. At this time, there is no charge for a LiveScan background check for the UC Davis campus, due to the Common Good Assessment (CGA), although there is a charge for Sacramento Med Center personnel.
Note: If you arrive at the Police Department with the form improperly filled out they will not conduct the check.
- Call the police department (530-754-2677) to schedule the Live Scan appointment.
- Contact HR one week after background check is conducted, and ask for the results.
Note: If HR says your background has not cleared yet, email them again the next week. If you or your MSO/CAO received an email confirming that you have passed the background check, send this confirmation directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the request to be added as a user and the name of the account custodian.
Once these requirements are met, send an email to email@example.com, and the authorized end-users will be added to the Use Authorization. Email this same address when a user leaves the lab or no longer needs access to the controlled substance.
Note: During busy times of the year, there may be a backlog in the Live Scan background check process, and clearance can take weeks. The authorized end-user is added to the Use Authorization when the background check clears, not when it is conducted.
It is your responsibility to provide effective controls so as to guard against theft, prevent illegal drug use, and protect the public from harm that may result from controlled substances under your care.
Ideal storage for CS is a locked, top drawer of stationary drawer set.
When storing a CS, you MUST do the following:
- Consult with EH&S for CS storage options appropriate to your needs and local DEA requirements.
- All storage locations and storage area changes must be approved by EH&S prior to use. Do not change locations without consulting EH&S, even within the same room. Also please note that orders placed to a different location than that in the CSUA will be flagged by Purchasing and will not be placed.
- Store only CS and the Log Book in the CS storage area that is secure, controlled by the PI, and only accessible by Authorized Personnel.
- It should be convenient to use and in an area where security breaches can be prevented and noticed, should they occur.
- Each researcher must maintain their own, separate, storage units.
CS storage must be labeled at all times with the original information from the manufacturer.
Ordering Controlled Substances
Please see the Accounting & Financial Services page for information about ordering controlled substances. Please note: in almost all circumstances the "Custodian" is the PI. The Custodian must be referenced in the order or it will be flagged and delayed. The location must match the location that EH&S has in their database for the order to proceed as well. If you have any questions regarding these issues, please contact
Disposal Requests for Controlled Substances
Please fill out the online Controlled Substance Disposal Request Form and follow the instructions to request disposal. Only authorized custodians and users can submit disposal requests. Once received, you will be contacted by an Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) staff member to set an appointment for the substance(s) to be officially transferred to an EH&S representative.