Fire Extinguisher Inspection Procedures
California Code of Regulation Title 19 requires that an inspection of all facility fire extinguishers be performed monthly. This inspection should be recorded on a tag attached to the fire extinguisher. The record may be kept on file in electronic form that provides a permanent record.
B. Inspection Guidelines
Inspect all fire extinguishers for the following:
- The plastic seal which holds the safety pull pin in place is missing. This is an indication of possible tampering and requires a fire extinguisher replacement.
- The extinguisher is not easily accessible.
- The yellow needle within the pressure gauge is not inside the green perimeters.
- The pressure gauge is damaged cracked or missing.
- The hose or horn is damaged or missing.
- The handle is twisted or damaged.
- The green inspection sticker is missing or lacking service information.
- The fire extinguisher is not in its assigned area or hanger.
- The shell is dented or shows signs of heavy damage.
- Improper stickers have been placed on the fire extinguisher, or the appropriate stickers/user information has been removed.
If an extinguisher fails an inspection for any reason, it must be replaced with a new extinguisher. Call UC Davis Fire Prevention Services at (530) 752-1493 with any questions.
Note: During monthly inspections, it is your department’s responsibility to make sure the fire extinguishers are placed in their non-locking cabinets, or placed on sturdy hangers. The area surrounding the fire extinguisher, 3 sides totaling 3 feet, must be kept clear at all times, providing an accessible area by which an individual can obtain the fire extinguisher quickly in an actual emergency. The fire extinguisher must not be moved to another location at any time without prior permission from the UC Davis Fire Prevention.