Biological Use Authorization (BUA)
Research that involves any of the following activities or materials requires a Biological Use Authorization (BUA).
- Research involving recombinant DNA technology, except projects that are exempt under the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules. For exempt rDNA activities, please see our FAQ entry on this topic.
- Work with materials that are infectious (or potentially infectious) to plants, animals, or humans (including replication-defective viral vectors).
- Working with any material that falls under the Cal OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standard. This includes any work with human cell lines, human blood or blood products, and human body fluids. At UC Davis, work with non-human primate (NHP) cells, established NHP cell lines, and NHP blood or blood products also requires a BUA.
- Storage of biohazardous materials that are not being used.
No work with biological agents or recombinant DNA is permitted on the UC Davis campus before approval is granted by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC). BUA approvals can take approximately eight weeks to process once a submission has been received.
|BUA Submission Deadline||Biosafety Committee Meeting Schedule|
|February 2, 2015||February 23, 2015|
|February 27, 2015||March 16, 2015|
|April 1, 2015
||April 20, 2015
|May 1, 2015
May 18, 2015
New Online Form: Biosafety Information Online (BIO)
- Please read the BIO User Guide before accessing the Biological Use Authorization (BUA) online form (BIO).
- Please enter your Biological Safety Cabinet (BSC) information on this template and "attach" it to your BUA (in BIO).
- Policies and Standard Operating Procedures for work with biohazardous agents (Appendix A of the BUA form)
- BUA Amendments:
- If the BUA that needs to be amended is on the old MS Word template, use this link (email completed amendments to email@example.com) -- Amendment Form Completion Guide
- If the BUA that needs to be amended is in BIO, please submit the amendment through BIO (use link above)
- Need help completing your BUA? Please contact for assistance.
- (contact the Biosafety Office before completing this form).
- Investigator Responsibilities Under the NIH rDNA Guidelines (PDF Brochure).
- Additional Forms & Plans
We welcome any feedback letting us know how we are doing or ideas on how to improve our service!