Knox Box Procedures
Knox Boxes are secure boxes mounted on the exterior of buildings that contain keys available for use by firefighters. All new facilities on the UC Davis and UC Davis Health (UCDH) Campus’, and properties administered by UC Davis, will have Knox Boxes installed as part of the project. Existing facilities will be retrofitted with Knox Boxes over time.
Basis for Requirements
The use of Knox Boxes is widely accepted as a secure means of housing building access keys available for use by firefighters. Use of Knox Boxes will also eliminate the need for firefighters to carry cumbersome key rings with many master keys.
- For the UC Davis Campus, contact the Fire Department at (530) 752-1236 and request a Knox Box Application. For UCDH, contact the Health System Fire Prevention office at (916) 734-3036 and request a Knox Box Application.
- For the UC Davis Campus, when a Knox Box request is made, the requesting party will be given a Knox Box application and directed to:
- Coordinate the location and number of Knox Boxes through the Assistant Chief Operations/Training.
- Provide a small scale plan of the building when meeting with the A/C Operations/Training so the exact Knox Box location can be shown on the plans.
- For new and existing buildings, it will be the responsibility of the project to order the keys and have them ready for installation prior to issuance of a Fire Clearance by the Fire Department (two sets per Knox Box containing building masters, fire alarm keys, elevator keys and any other keys needed for access). If the Knox Box is not being installed as part of a project, the department purchasing the Knox Box must coordinate with the O&M to develop the correct complement of keys for the Knox Box.
- Schedule an appointment with the A/C Operations/Training at (530)752-1236 to have the application approved. Unless otherwise directed by the Fire Department, the UC Davis standard model is the series #3200 or #4400 Hinged Door Knox Box. Please make sure to choose the style and color that works for the intended application. For the Davis Campus, the application must be approved by the Fire Department Operations/Training Assistant Chief. For UCDH, verify that Sacramento City Fire has already signed the application.
- For the Davis Campus, the approved application, including a check for the correct amount, will be mailed to the Knox Company by the Fire Department. The requesting party may also ask to recharge the project for the Knox Box. If that is the case, they must provide the appropriate billing information before the order will be placed. For UCDH, the requesting party will mail the approved application, including a check for correct amount to the Knox Company (address shown on the application).
- For the Davis Campus, the Knox Company will send the Knox Box to the UC Davis Fire Department. The requesting party will be notified to pick up the Knox Box(s) for installation. At UCDH, the Knox Box body will be sent to the purchaser, and the cover will go directly to the Sacramento City Fire Department.
- Once the Knox Box is installed*, please contact either the UC Davis Fire Department Operations/Training Assistant at the Davis Campus or the UC Health System Fire Prevention Assistant at the UCDH, to coordinate installation of the keys.
*Each Knox Box must be installed 4-5 feet from the ground and no more than 2 feet from the door, unless otherwise approved by the UC Davis Fire Department.
Revised July 2008