To define the policy regarding the use of expired drugs and medical materials.
Per the United States Department of Agriculture and Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare the use of expired drugs (anesthetics, analgesics, tranquilizers, euthanasia drugs, and antibiotics), is not acceptable veterinary care. For acute terminal procedures, APHIS (Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service) does not oppose the use of expired medical materials (e.g., suture material, staples) if their use does not adversely affect the animal’s well-being or compromise the validity of the scientific study.
It is the IACUC policy to apply the above standards to all vertebrate research and teaching animals covered under UC Davis Animal Care and Use Protocols, regardless of whether or not they are covered under the USDA Animal Welfare Act. To further clarify;
To further clarify;
- Expired anesthetics, analgesics, tranquilizers, euthanasia solutions, emergency drugs, and antibiotics cannot be used in live animals under any circumstances.
- Expired drugs should be segregated in an appropriately labeled container, physically separate location from non-expired drugs and arrangements should be made for timely and proper disposal.
- Expired medical materials (e.g., suture material, staples, saline) may be used in acute terminal studies if their use does not adversely affect the animal’s well-being or compromise the validity of the scientific study.
- The facility must dispose of medical materials or segregate them in an appropriately labeled, physically separate location from non-expired medical materials.
- Note: If drugs or medical materials have an expiration date noting only a month and year, the expiration is the last day of the month indicated.
If you have questions about an expired medical material and its use, please contact Campus Veterinary Services at (530) 752-0514 or email@example.com.
- APHIS Animal Care Resource Guide Policy #3-October 16, 2015
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, Eight Edition (Page 122)
- Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare FAQ's- June 11, 2015
Enabled By: PHS/USDA