Principal Investigators (PIs) are a critical link in the safety management program at UC Davis. As the front line manager for their research group, they play a vital role in implementing the campus safety management program. To meet this challenge, it is important that PIs have access to all the information and training they need. A brief summary of the elements of the Safety Management program are included in Safetynet #131. A checklist follows as a quick overview of PI safety responsibilities under campus policy.
- Evaluate and identify workplace hazards.
- Assure research group/laboratory workers (including employees, visiting scholars, post doctoral fellows, students) are properly trained and the training documented.
- Develop, review and update, as necessary, standard operating procedures.
- Develop, review and update, as necessary, the laboratory-specific Chemical Hygiene Plan (applicable only to laboratories).
- Pay fines resulting from citations for failure to comply with health, safety and/or environmental laws and regulations.
UC Davis Policy and Procedure Manual
|Section 290-15||Safety Management Program|
|Section 290-16||Ergonomics Program|
|Section 290-80||Diving Safety Program|